Episode 045 – Genealogy Christmas Pt 2: Son of Abraham
Key Passage(s): Matthew 1:1-17
In Pt 1: Son of David, we learned that Jesus was the fulfillment of the Davidic Covenant for the Jews. Now Matthew wants us to understand that Jesus was the fulfillment of the Abrahamic Covenant. But what does that mean?
And how does Matthew “prove” it in the genealogy? Well, buckle up, because what Matthew does next is astounding, and its implications for our lives and for this Advent Season will leave us encouraged and grateful that we get to part of the family of such a loving God.
- What was your biggest takeaway from the teaching?
- Have you ever felt like you were outside of God’s promises? Why or why not? Did hearing the stories of Jesus’ history change your perspective at all?
- Have you ever thought that your brokenness can be used to show the restorative nature of Jesus? Have you seen this reflected in your life or in the stories of others you know?
- On a scale of 1 (only those just like me) to 10 (everyone), how wide a spectrum of different people do you welcome into your life?
- How do you inadvertently/unintentionally not welcome all people? (This may be a blind spot that others can help you discover.) Are there certain people you find harder to welcome?
- How will you begin this week to reflect the heart of God in welcoming all people?
For Further Study