Effective Date: April 23, 2021
WalkingTheText.com is owned and operated by Walking The Text (“WTT”), a registered 501(c)3 non-profit corporation and is committed to safeguarding the information we collect from you. To help you understand what information we collect, how we use it, and to whom we disclose it, please review the summary of our information practices below.
COLLECTION OF INFORMATION
Information You Give Us
You may visit our site and participate in some of our activities without our collection of any personal information or data from you. In other circumstances, when you access our website, you may provide certain “personal identifiable information” including but not limited to your name, email address, phone number, address, avatar image, or credit card information when you make purchase on our site. We may receive and store the personal information you enter on our website or give to us in any other way. We do not ask you to disclose more personally identifiable information then is necessary for you to participate in our website.
Like other websites, we automatically collect some “non-personally identifiable information” such as your computer’s Internet Protocol Address (IP address), browser information, the type of computer operating system you are using, and/or information regarding your Internet service provider. Additionally, we use Google Analytics to collect certain information about your location, the frequency with which you visit various parts of our site, equipment used to access our website, and other general patterns related to your use of our site. We use this data to manage the site and make it more interesting and useful to you.
USE OF INFORMATION
Your personal information is used to customize your experience on our website and better serve you. We may use the information that you provide for a variety of purposes, including but not limited to, respond to your requests, process your purchases or donations, provide you with offers or promotions, tailor advertisements for you, elicit reviews of services or products, customize website options for you, improve the overall quality of our website, and to otherwise communicate with you.
RETENTION OF INFORMATION
DISCLOSURE OF INFORMATION
As a general rule, we do not disclose your personal information to third parties without your consent with the exception of the following circumstances:
- As needed to our trusted third parties providers such as our website hosting partners, email marketing service provider and/or any other affiliates and subsidiaries we rely upon to provide you products and services offered here;
- As needed to protect the security and integrity of our website;
- To protect the rights and safety of us, our shareholders, members, officers, employees and customers;
- To respond to a judicial process;
- To comply with state or federal regulations related to copyright infringement lawsuits; and
- As otherwise required by law.
SECURITY OF INFORMATION
To the best of our ability, we have put in place physical, electronic and managerial procedures to safe-guard and help prevent unauthorized access, maintain data security, and correctly use the information that we have collected from you at this site. We take seriously our obligation to safeguard the confidentiality, security and integrity of personal information collected from our users and have established and will maintain procedures that are designed for that purpose. You should be aware, however, that no system is 100% secure from hackers, network failure and error, and we cannot guarantee the confidentiality, security and integrity of information maintained on our site.
OUR COMMITMENT TO CHILDREN’S PRIVACY
We respect the privacy of children and “child” means an individual under the age of 13. All information and content on this website is intended for individuals over the age of 18 and children under 13 are prohibited from using this website. We do not knowingly collect, use, or disclose personal information from children under the age of 13. If you are a parent or guardian and you suspect that your child may have submitted personal information to us, please send us an email. If we become aware that a child under 13 has provided us with personal information, we will strive to delete such information from our files as soon as possible.
COOKIES AND SIMILAR TECHNOLOGIES
We may use social media pixels to track and collect general information about your use in compliance with different social media sites (Facebook, Twitter, etc) for the purpose of promoting products, tracking conversions, running target advertisements and so forth. Third parties like Facebook may use their own cookies, web beacons and other technologies to collect and receive information from our website for the purpose of providing target advertisements. You may see our ads on Facebook after you have visited our website. We do not authorize third parties to collect any other personal information from our websites unless you provide it to them directly.
What Are Cookies and How to Disable Them
DO NOT TRACK SIGNALS
Some web browsers may transmit “Do Not Track” signals (DNT) to the websites and other online services with which a user communicates. You can enable or disable DNT by visiting the Preferences or Settings page of your web browser. At this time, we do not take action in response to these signals, though we may choose to do so in the future.
EMAIL MARKETING & OPT OUT
Our website gives you the option to sign up for our mailing list. When you subscribe and opt in, you consent to receive our blogs, newsletters, updates, messages, email marketing, promotional materials and other content related to this website. We comply with the CAN-SPAM Act and do not spam or send misleading information. In the event you no longer wish to receive communication from us, you have the option of unsubscribing by clicking “unsubscribe” in the bottom of the email or you may withdraw your consent at any time by emailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Users can set preferences for how Google advertises to you using the Google Ad Settings page. Alternatively, you can opt out by visiting the Network Advertising Initiative Opt Out page or by using the Google Analytics Opt Out Browser add on.
THIRD PARTY & SOCIAL NETWORK POSTING TOOLS
INFORMATION YOU POST ON OUR WEBSITE
Keep in mind that any information you choose to post to our website, including but not limited to, reviews, story sub-missions, and comments, can be seen, collected, and used by anyone who visits our website. This may result in unsolicited messages from other posters or parties. We make no representations and undertake no obligations as to the security or use of information you voluntarily include when submitting content.
In some instances, we may include affiliate links on our website or in our communications (such as blogs) where we recommend specific products or services. We have financial relationships with a number of companies mentioned on this website. One such program we may use is Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. If you purchase something through one of our affiliate links, we receive a small commission at no extra cost to you. These links are always disclosed.
FOR CALIFORNIA RESIDENTS
As of January 1, 2020, California residents have certain rights under the California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA):
- Right to know: You may request from us a list of: 1) the personal information that we have collected about you, 2) the categories of third parties to whom we have disclosed your personal information, and 3) the categories of third parties to whom we have sold your personal information:
- Right to access: You have the right to up to two (2) access requests in each twelve (12) month period;
- Right to delete: You may request us to delete your account and your personal information; and
- Right to opt-out: At any time, you have the right to opt-out of the sale of your personal information. You may direct us to stop “selling” (as defined under the CCPA) your personal information.
It is our policy to neither disclose personal information, nor to sell such information, to third parties without your consent. If you are a California resident and would like to make such a request, however, please submit your request to: email@example.com. We will not discriminate against any California resident who makes such requests.
How to Provide a California Minor Removal Request
If you are a user under the age of 18 and you wish for your published content to be removed from our website, please provide to our email:
- Confirmation that you are currently a legal resident of the state of California;
- Confirmation that you are under the age of 18 by providing your birthday;
- A description of the exact content that you are seeking to have removed (please provide a URL if possible);
- Your full name; and
- Your email address.
FOR EUROPEAN ECONOMIC AREA RESIDENTS
If you reside in a country in the European Economic Area (EEA), you are entitled to certain information and have certain rights under the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR). Your rights under the GDPA include:
- the right to request access to your information that we store and the rights to either rectify or erase your personal data;
- the right to seek restrictions on the processing of your data;
- the right to object to the processing of your information and the right to the portability of your data;
- the right to withdraw your consent at any time after we relied on your consent to process your personal information, without affecting the lawfulness of processing based upon consent that occurred prior to your withdrawal; and
- the right to complain to a data protection authority about our collection and use of your personal information. For more information, please contact your local data protection authority in the European Economic Area (EEA).
We will retain the any personal information you choose to provide to us until the earlier of: a) you asking us to delete the information, b) our decision to cease using our existing data providers, or c) when we decide that the value in retaining the information is outweighed by the costs of retaining it. Should you wish to have your information deleted, please email us at: firstname.lastname@example.org.
MODIFICATION OF THIS POLICY
This Policy was last updated April 23, 2021.
QUESTIONS AND CONTACT INFORMATION