Episode 027 – Zacchaeus Pt 3: Jesus’ Shocking Actions
Key Passage(s): Luke 19:1-10; Luke 15:1-2
In the first two episodes, we examined Zacchaeus’ actions and how utterly remarkable his responses were. But how were such responses even possible? The answer lies in Jesus’ actions. They’re shocking, perplexing, and infuriating to those in the crowd, but life-giving and healing to those in need of Jesus’ love and forgiveness. May we not only embrace Jesus’ actions, but emulate them to others as well.
- What’s your biggest takeaway from the teaching?
- In three weeks of engaging this passage now, what did you see or learn that you hadn’t seen in the story thus far?
- “How often are we the crowd?” was posed in the teaching. What came to mind as you heard that question?
- Which of Jesus’ five actions (knew name and pursued, offered love and acceptance, didn’t care about reputation but people, rescued and restored, enabled Zacchaeus to become who he was called to be) struck you the most? Why?
- What which did you need to hear the most? Which one challenged you the most as you think about emulating Jesus’ actions to others?
- How will you begin walking out the truths of this teaching over this next week?
For Further Study
- Encounters With Jesus by Gary M. Burge – This story is addressed in Chapter 3 (Note: Gary comes to a different conclusion about Zacchaeus’ actions).
Disclosure of Material Connection. Some of the links above are affiliate links (meaning if you purchase them through the provided link, Walking The Text receives a small commission at no extra charge to you). That being said I only promote things which I thoroughly believe my audience will benefit from and that I use myself. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, part 255: “guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.”