Episode 028 – Zacchaeus Pt 4: To Seek and To Save
Key Passage(s): Luke 19:10; Daniel 7:12-13; Ezekiel 34
The Zacchaeus story ends with Jesus stating, “For the Son of Man came to seek and to save the lost.” This wasn’t just a nice summary statement, but an electric proclamation that would’ve sent shockwaves through his listeners’ ears. Drawing upon two substantial prophetic books, Jesus demonstrates that he’s reclaiming the world, that he’s the fulfillment the entire biblical story, and that with extreme compassion, he’s bringing people back into the fold.
- What’s your biggest takeaway from the teaching?
- Prior to this teaching, were you familiar with the practice of remez? Are you aware of any other stories where Jesus utilizes this strategy?
- Teachings like this remind us of the importance of the Old Testament. How have you traditionally viewed the importance of the Old Testament? Where do you feel you need to grow the most in engaging and understanding the Old Testament?
- Knowing what you now know, what thoughts and emotions would’ve been rattling through the hearts of minds of those who heard Jesus use phrases like “Son of Man” and “to seek and save?”
- In what ways have you experienced Jesus pursuing you with extreme compassion?
- How will you begin walking out the truths of this teaching over this next week?
For Further Study
- TaNaK / Old Testament Video by The Bible Project
- Daniel Video by The Bible Project
- Ezekiel Video by The Bible Project
- The Restoration of All Things – this is a 73-minute teaching I did on the entire Bible from Genesis 1 to Revelation 22, providing the over arching narrative and for understanding what the Bible is all about. The timeline graphic that accompanies the teaching can be download at the teaching link.