Episode 121 – Rabbis and Disciples Pt 5: Having Authority
Key Passage(s): Matthew 21:23-27; Matthew 28:18-20
In the Gospels, people were always commenting on Jesus’s authority. It was clear to everyone that he had it. Some marveled at it, while others scoffed at it. The Scribes and Pharisees even questioned it. But what exactly did they mean by authority? How did Jesus understand it? And does that enhance our understanding of what happens with the Great Commission in Matthew 28? Without question! Welcome to an explosive episode where you’ll gain a deeper understanding of Jesus’s biblical authority and how discipleship with Jesus’s authority leads to the life that God desires for us all.
- What was your biggest takeaway from the teaching?
- We’ve all met people who had authority by virtue of their role or position. But who is someone you’ve met that may or may not have had a role or position but nevertheless possessed an unmistakable gift or life-giving presence?
- What are your thoughts about the following statement? Most of us have been taught to understand salvation as the finish line rather than the starting line to a life of discipleship.
- How do you feel about the idea that Jesus ordained you and has given you his authority?
- In what ways are/have you been sharing the depth of the life you’ve received and learned from Jesus with others?
- How will you begin living out the truths of this teaching this week?
For Further Study
Disclosure of Material Connection. Some of the links above are affiliate links (meaning if you purchase them through the provided link, Walking The Text receives a small commission at no extra charge to you). That being said I only promote things which I thoroughly believe my audience will benefit from and that I use myself. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, part 255: “guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.”