Episode 039 – Psalm 23 Pt 6: Rod and Staff (and Sling)
Key Passage(s): Psalm 23:4
The rod and the staff, they comfort David. And likely the sling too! These are what the shepherd carries for various situations. Learning about these alone is utterly fascinating, especially when you find out how David uses them against lions, bears, and Goliath (which we discuss). But how these translate into what God does for us in in the midst of our deep valleys is where the power lies. And once we understand that, we’ll find comfort, courage, and hope just like David did.
- What’s your biggest takeaway from the teaching?
- When you find yourself in difficult times, where do you turn for comfort?
- It was mentioned that the one of the reasons a shepherd carries a crook is to help their sheep get back on the path. What came to your mind as you heard this? Have you experienced this in your life with God?
- In what area is God gently guiding you back to the path He’s set before you?
- What are the differences between safety and being protected from evil? Have you ever considered this before? Does this change anything in your life or relationship with God?
- How does knowing that evil, pain, and brokenness have been defeated by Jesus change how you view difficult times?
- How can you be intentional this week in seeking your comfort in God, our great shepherd who can be trusted?
For Further Study
- The Good Shepherd: A Thousand-Year Journey from Psalm 23 to the New Testament by Kenneth E. Bailey
- Psalm 23: A Photo Commentary by Steven D. Anderson and Todd Bolen
- Psalm 23: Photo Companion to the Bible (pictures) by Todd Bolen (BiblePlaces.com)
- While Shepherds Watch Their Flocks by Timothy Laniak
- Becoming a Judean Shepherd by Doug Greenwold
Disclosure of Material Connection. Some of the links above are affiliate links (meaning if you purchase them through the provided link, Walking The Text receives a small commission at no extra charge to you). That being said I only promote things which I thoroughly believe my audience will benefit from and that I use myself. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, part 255: “guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.”