Episode 038 – Psalm 23 Pt 5: Valley of Deep Darkness
Key Passage(s): Psalm 23:4
We all experience difficult times in our lives that cause fear, frustration, sadness and pain. In Psalm 23, these are the “valleys of deep darkness.” Once in, the only the way out is through. David understood this, and yet he boldly states, “Even though I walk through the valley of deep darkness (shadow of death), I will fear no evil for you are with me.” What exactly was David talking about? Once we grasp what David is saying, we’ll know how to navigate our valleys of deep darkness with hope and resilience and be able to say the same thing!
- What’s your biggest takeaway from the teaching?
- Where are you experiencing a dark valley in your life? If you’re not, who in your circle is? How can you reach out to them to let you know you’re with them and that you care for them?
- If you’re in a dark valley, how are you doing? Are you denying your reality in any way? Are you stuck in the valley? Are you moving through it?
- Was the conversation on fear helpful to you? Why or why not? Where might fear be paralyzing your movement forward?
- How does the knowledge that God is intimately aware of you and with you as you walk through hard places change your perspective? Do you believe God is walking with you through your difficulties? Why or why not?
- Do you generally go through your difficulties alone or do you allow others to know and walk with you through them?
- In what ways have you seen God anew going through the deep valleys of your life?
- What is God asking you to do to walk out the truths of this teaching?
For Further Study
- The Bible and the Land by Gary M. Burge
- The Good Shepherd: A Thousand-Year Journey from Psalm 23 to the New Testament by Kenneth E. Bailey
- Psalm 23: A Photo Commentary by Steven D. Anderson and Todd Bolen
- Psalm 23: Photo Companion to the Bible (pictures) by Todd Bolen (BiblePlaces.com)
- While Shepherds Watch Their Flocks by Timothy Laniak
- Becoming a Judean Shepherd by Doug Greenwold
Disclosure of Material Connection. Some of the links above are affiliate links (meaning if you purchase them through the provided link, Walking The Text receives a small commission at no extra charge to you). That being said I only promote things which I thoroughly believe my audience will benefit from and that I use myself. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, part 255: “guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.”