Episode 030 – Zacchaeus Pt 6: A Wealthy Pattern
Key Passage(s): Luke 9:1-2
Zacchaeus is a “chief tax collector,” which means he’s incredibly wealthy – something everyone would’ve known. So why does Luke go out of his way to include the detail that he was “wealthy” as well? I believe he’s helping his audience connect into a larger theme of “wealth” that has been threaded throughout his gospel. In doing so, he’s encouraging us to see just how revealing and redemptive Zacchaeus’ response of using his wealth appropriately was to the advancement of Jesus’ kingdom movement. This is a teaching that will challenge us all in how we utilize the resources God’s given to us.
- What’s your biggest takeaway from the teaching?
- Do you generally think of yourself as “wealthy?” Why or why not?
- Remember that half of the world’s population live on less than $2 a day. Knowing this, how does this change your view on what “wealthy” means?
- Where were you most challenged in thinking about your wealth?
- Where are you using your resources in a way that advances Jesus’ kingdom?
- Where have you allowed wealth and possessions to pull you off track?
- How will you begin walking out your desired changes in the coming weeks?
For Further Study