Episode 115 – Placing God’s Word Upon Your Heart
Key Passage(s): Deuteronomy 6:4-9; Hebrews 4:12–13; 2 Timothy 3:16–17
Sometimes the Bible speaks right to our hearts by encouraging or challenging us in just the right way. Other times, we walk away uninspired and discouraged, feeling like we didn’t get anything out of it. What do we do in those moments? In this episode, we explore the practice of placing God’s Word upon our hearts, so that when the time is right, and our hearts are ready, they will be available to us. Because the Bible wants to do something in us. It wants to challenge us. It wants to confront us. It wants to help us. But if we get discouraged and disengage, we will miss out on what God’s Word wants to do in our lives. And none of us want that to happen.
- What was your biggest takeaway from the teaching?
- Do you agree that Biblical illiteracy is a major problem for followers of Jesus? Why or why not?
- What are one or two specific ways you see followers of Jesus allowing the culture around them to define truth instead of the Bible?
- Sometimes the Bible hits us with exactly what we need to hear. When is a time that happened for you, and what did the Bible offer that you needed to hear so badly?
- How do you relate to the idea that there are seasons when it feels like we don’t get anything out of reading the Bible?
- Sometimes after our hearts have been broken open, words, passages, or truths from the Bible that we didn’t previously understand fall into us and make perfect sense. When has something like that happened in your life?
- How will you begin living out the truths of this teaching this week?
For Further Study