Episode 124 – Rabbis and Disciples Pt 8: Jesus’s Yoke
Key Passage(s): Matthew 11:28-30
One of the biggest problems we have when reading the Bible is familiarity. When we’re too familiar with a passage, we start believing we already know what it means. In doing so, we forget there’s so much more it has to teach us, and we rob it of its explosive power to transform our lives. In this final episode in our series, Rabbis and Disciples, we set Jesus’s famous words about “his yoke” in their historical and cultural context, and discover Jesus making a shocking claim that no other rabbi ever made. By understanding this passage anew, you’ll experience the depth, the audacious challenge, and the compelling nature of Jesus’s invitation to life in him!
Small Group or Individual Discussion Questions
- What was your biggest takeaway from the teaching?
- How did exploring the different “hints” Jesus gave in this passage change or deepen its meaning for you?
- What are one or two specific examples of times you’ve made life harder for yourself by trying to do it your way rather than doing it Jesus’s way?
- What are one or two specific examples of times you practiced the way of Jesus and it helped you to navigate the difficulty of life with a kind of ease and lightness?
- What does “rest for your soul” look like in your life?
- How will you begin living out the truths of this teaching this week?
For Further Study
As an Amazon Associate, we earn from qualifying purchases (at no extra charge to you).