Episode 077 – Fearing or Revering God
Key Passage(s): Proverbs 1:7; Proverbs 9:10; Job 28:28
According to Proverbs 9:10, “The fear of the LORD is the beginning of wisdom.” Perhaps you’ve heard this before, and maybe, like me, you’ve wondered, “Are we supposed to be scared of God?” Is this what this verse means? Or as some of us have no doubt learned, the“fear” here is really a “reverent fear.” But is that true? In this episode we unpack this passage to understand what “fearing the LORD” entails and how a proper understanding enables us to trust God more in our lives.
- What was your biggest takeaway from the teaching?
- Growing up, did you develop a healthy fear of things and people?
- Have you struggled in the past with fearing the LORD in a healthy way? How so?
- Are there any ways in which your obedience to God is driven more by fear than by awe and wonder and respect?
- Do you have a hard time trusting the LORD? What might be keeping you from trusting Him more fully?
- How will you begin living out the truths of this teaching this week?
For Further Study