Episode 062 – Bread of Life Pt 6: Took, Blessed, Broke, Gave
Key Passage(s): John 6:51-59; Matthew 26:26
One of the most challenging passages to understand is Jesus’ “Bread of Life” teaching in John 6 where he tells his audience they must “eat his flesh and drink his blood.” And then he goes on to say that if they don’t, they have no life in them. What is up with that? And then John, who spends more time on the Last Supper than all of the other gospel writers combined, doesn’t even mention Jesus’ discussion about the new covenant or the instituting of communion. What? Astonishingly, these stories, along with the feedings of both the five thousand and four thousand are all linked together! Marvel at how all of the pieces come together as we understand what Jesus was proclaiming with the bread at the Last Supper and the eternal hope we have as result of his sacrifice.
- What was your biggest takeaway from the teaching?
- What was most meaningful to you about this teaching that helps you enter well into the recognition that Jesus went to the cross on our behalf?
- At times, Jesus asks us to do things that don’t make sense. Where in your life are you finding Jesus asking you to do something difficult right now (if any)?
- Are there any ways in which you are striving to earn God’s love or grace, and today you just need to sit deeply in the reminder that our hope and love and grace from Him is entirely a gift?
- Jesus’s body was given for us to find hope. In what ways can you offer your life so that others can find hope and experience the love of Jesus?
- How can you begin living out the truths of this teaching this week?
For Further Study
- Grumble or Eat – this is a sermon I did that brings together all of the content from this episode as well as the last one (and more).
Disclosure of Material Connection. Some of the links above are affiliate links (meaning if you purchase them through the provided link, Walking The Text receives a small commission at no extra charge to you). That being said I only promote things which I thoroughly believe my audience will benefit from and that I use myself. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, part 255: “guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.”