Episode 021 – Complete Like God
Key Passage(s): Matthew 5:43-48
Rain was always a downer for me growing up. It spoiled the outdoor fun. As a result, I never understood Jesus’ teaching in Matthew 5 about God sending sun and rain on the righteous and unrighteous and then concluding with being “perfect as your heavenly father is perfect” – as if that was even possible. But set in its context, this passage makes all the sense in the world, and Jesus’ words take on powerful implications for our lives.
- What’s your biggest takeaway from the teaching?
- How have you traditionally understood Matthew 5:48 with the translation of “be perfect, therefore, as your heavenly Father is perfect?”
- How did this teaching affirm or change your understanding of Jesus’ words here?
- Knowing there’s a connection with Matthew 5:9, did you make any other connections?
- In what ways do you respond like the “tax collectors” and “pagans” to others in this passage?
- With whom do you need to be more complete like God in your interactions with them?
- How will you begin implementing your desired changes over this next week?
For Further Study