Episode 089 – Parable of the Mustard Seed: God Is At Work
Key Passage(s): Matthew 13:31-32; Mark 4:30-32; Luke 13:18-19
Despite what we may think, many people didn’t believe Jesus’s ministry was all that impressive. In fact, they questioned whether or not God’s kingdom was really advancing through him. In response, Jesus told a parable about a mustard seed. Even though it’s incredibly small, its capacity for growth is massive. Jesus challenged his audience to recognize that even though things may not be unfolding the way we think, that doesn’t mean God isn’t at work. Quite the opposite. And what may appear to be small and seemingly insignificant may be germinating into something substantial.
- What was your biggest takeaway from the teaching?
- Why do you think people were questioning whether or not the kingdom was really advancing through the ministry of Jesus?
- In what ways does it feel like that God’s kingdom isn’t advancing here on earth (or perhaps through your life)?
- What activities are you currently involved in that feel small and seemingly insignificant? How do the truths of this teaching encourage you or challenge you to think differently about those things?
- Where may God be challenging you to have a “mustard seed” like faith?
- How will you begin living out the truths of this teaching this week?
For Further Study
Disclosure of Material Connection. Some of the links above are affiliate links (meaning if you purchase them through the provided link, Walking The Text receives a small commission at no extra charge to you). That being said I only promote things which I thoroughly believe my audience will benefit from and that I use myself. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, part 255: “guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.”