Episode 082 – Parable of the Soils Pt 1: How’s Your Dirt?
Key Passage(s): Mark 4:1-9; Jeremiah 4:3-4; Proverbs 4:23
The Parable of the Soils (traditionally: Sower) is only one of three parables that shows up in all three synoptic gospels (Matthew, Mark, and Luke). Of the three parables, it shows up the earliest, and in each one, it kicks off a series of parables. Why do we need to know that? Because it’s a parable about parables. To understand what Jesus is doing in his other parables, it’s imperative to understand what he’s doing in this one, which is why we’re starting here. Jesus portrays his listeners as one of four soils, but only one soil is desired. The question is, “Are we that soil?” And if not, what do we need to do? This episode will help you figure that out.
- What was your biggest takeaway from the teaching?
- How have you traditionally understood this parable? What was most surprising to you?
- Knowing the Parable of the Sower is actually about the soil, how does this change your perspective, if any, when reading it?
- Have you ever experienced the resurfacing of rocks in your life? If yes, how so?
- So how is your dirt? What rocks are currently in your field?
- Like the farmer outside of Nazareth, how hard are you truly willing to work to address the rocks in your field?
- Who in your life can help you deal with any rocks you may have? What does this process look like for you?
- How will you begin living out the truths of this teaching this week?
For Further Study
Disclosure of Material Connection. Some of the links above are affiliate links (meaning if you purchase them through the provided link, Walking The Text receives a small commission at no extra charge to you). That being said I only promote things which I thoroughly believe my audience will benefit from and that I use myself. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, part 255: “guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.”