Episode 90 – Parable of the Rich Fool Pt 1: Possessed By Our Possessions
Key Passage(s): Luke 12:13-21
Possessions can be tricky. On the one hand, many of them are needed and incredibly useful. But on the other hand, they can possess us in ways that we may or may not realize. In the Parable of the Rich Fool, Jesus warns, “Watch out! Be on your guardagainst all kinds of greed; for one’s life does not consist in an abundance of possessions.” His point is easy to understand. But then the question becomes, “Do we actually live as if what he said is true?” Let’s find out.
- What was your biggest takeaway from the teaching?
- Jesus warned, “Watch out! Be on your guard against all kinds of greed; for one’s life does not consist in an abundance of possessions.” How did his words hit you in the teaching?
- Where do you believe you’re using possessions in a helpful and life-giving way?
- Where might you be blinded by the way your possessions may be possessing you?
- What may God be saying to you about your relationship with possessions and how He wants you to think and live differently moving forward?
- How will you begin living out the truths of this teaching this week?
For Further Study
- Stories With Intent by Klyne Snodgrass – Pages 389-401
- Poet & Peasant and Through Peasant Eyes (Combined Ed.)by Kenneth Bailey – Chapter 4 in Through Peasant Eyes
- Jesus, The Middle Eastern Storytellerby Gary M. Burge – Chapter 7
Disclosure of Material Connection. Some of the links above are affiliate links (meaning if you purchase them through the provided link, Walking The Text receives a small commission at no extra charge to you). That being said I only promote things which I thoroughly believe my audience will benefit from and that I use myself. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, part 255: “guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.”