Episode 123 – Rabbis and Disciples Pt 7: A Difficult Lifestyle
Key Passage(s): Matthew 4:23; Luke 9:57-58
We all want to live fully and deeply, but in order to do that we’ve got to live as Jesus lived. The problem is we don’t always understand what Jesus’s life looked like. In this episode, we dig into the details of the itinerant rabbinic lifestyle and quickly realize that Jesus’s life as a traveling rabbi wasn’t glorious or easy. It was actually really, really difficult. It came with a cost. But according to Jesus and the rabbis of the day, it was worth it – costly, but worth it. It’s a message we all need to hear or be reminded of, as we seek to faithfully follow Jesus and experience life that is truly life.
- What was your biggest takeaway from the teaching?
- There’s a saying, “You can’t know at 20 what only 30 can teach you.” Age and experience often go hand-in-hand. Reflect on what you’ve learned and identify one way in which you’ve grown over the last 10 years.
- What stood out most to you about the itinerant lifestyle Jesus and his disciples lived?
- What are some areas in your life where you’ve caught yourself saying or thinking: It’s hard, but it’s worth it?
- What, in your experience, have been one or two of the most difficult parts of following Jesus and seeking to live as a disciple? What have you learned?
- How will you begin living out the truths of this teaching this week?
For Further Study
Disclosure of Material Connection. Some of the links above are affiliate links (meaning if you purchase them through the provided link, Walking The Text receives a small commission at no extra charge to you). That being said I only promote things which I thoroughly believe my audience will benefit from and that I use myself. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, part 255: “guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.”