Episode 110 – The Dignity of Difference Pt 1: Unity Not Uniformity
Key Passage(s): Matthew 10:2-4; John 17:20-23
God is a God of unity, not uniformity. In this episode, Brad Gray discusses how there is a dignity to difference. As a result, diversity isn’t the aberration; it’s the expectation when it comes to the kingdom of Christ.
Our world is deeply divided right now. Whether it’s politics, race, or the latest headline, our cultural default seems to be an “Us vs. Them” mentality. What’s fascinating is that this was as true in Jesus’s day as it is in our own. For example, Brad demonstrates how Jesus’s own disciples reflected the vast diversity and difference in his world. As a result, Jesus chose such a group that grew because of their unity, not uniformity.
Furthermore, Brad shares how at the heart of the Scriptures is this idea: God wants his followers to live unified through love and respect, and welcome the diversity. This is part one in a series that will explore Jesus’s rich tradition of honoring the dignity of difference. We must come together as a human race to thrive in the world today.
- What was your biggest takeaway from the teaching?
- In what ways are you seeing and feeling the polarization and “Us vs. Them” mentality in our world right now?
- What kinds of things do you sense are fueling and contributing to the division?
- What do you think it looks like to value unity over uniformity in the relational networks that make up your life (work, church, social media, community)?
- What are some of the bright spots or stories where you have personally seen people honor the dignity of difference and live in unity rather than insisting on uniformity?
- What about those stories or bright spots should we strive to replicate?
- How will you begin living out the truths of this teaching this week?
For Further Study