Episode 096 – Parable of the Lost Son Pt 3: Embrace the Grace
Key Passage(s): Luke 15:11-24
It’s easy to forget how much we’ve been forgiven. And when we do so, our relationship with God and others suffers greatly. In this episode, we key in on the younger son and unpack his journey of being lost and then found. And in doing so, we get to marvel at the extravagant grace of God who embraces us despite our faults and failures.
But until we allow ourselves to be embraced and changed by this grace, we’ll seek to manipulate and connive in our relationship with God, and we’ll also fail to extend to others the kind of grace God expects from us.
- What was your biggest takeaway from the teaching?
- How have you traditionally understood this parable with respect to the younger son? How did this teaching confirm or change your prior understanding?
- Is there any way in which you’ve forgotten how much you’ve been forgiven? If so, how is that negatively impacting your relationship with God? Your relationship with others?
- Where do you need to embrace God’s grace anew today?
- Where do you need to extend that kind of grace to others?
- How will you begin living out the truths of this teaching this week?
For Further Study
- Stories With Intent by Klyne Snodgrass – Pages 117-143
- Poet & Peasant and Through Peasant Eyes (Combined Ed.) by Kenneth Bailey – Pages 158-206 in Poet & Peasant
- Jesus, The Middle Eastern Storyteller by Gary M. Burge – Chapter 6
- The Parables by Brad Young – Chapter 7
Disclosure of Material Connection. Some of the links above are affiliate links (meaning if you purchase them through the provided link, Walking The Text receives a small commission at no extra charge to you). That being said I only promote things which I thoroughly believe my audience will benefit from and that I use myself. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, part 255: “guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.”