Episode 094 – Parable of the Lost Son Pt 1: Live The Story
Key Passage(s): Luke 15:1-2
Traditionally known as the “Parable of the Prodigal Son,” this story of Jesus has captured the hearts and minds of people for two thousand years. It’s among his most famous teachings, and it highlights the essence of his mission. And like every story of Jesus (and of the Bible), it has a context that is often lost on readers. Which is why in this episode, we begin laying out that context by looking at the reason Jesus tells the parable in the first place. And as we’ll discuss, too many are content knowing the stories of Jesus. But we’re not just called to know the stories of Jesus; we’re called to live the stories of Jesus.
- What was your biggest takeaway from the teaching?
- Were you aware that the reason Jesus told the Parable of the Lost Son (Prodigal) was due to the muttering of the religious leaders? How does that change or enhance your understanding of the parable?
- As mentioned in the teaching, the series will explore additional reasons why the religious leaders took issue with Jesus’s love and acceptance of all people, but what do you think some of those reasons were? Do you struggle with any of the reasons you’ve identified? If so, why?
- Where might God be challenging you with the possibility that you’ve been too content simply knowing the stories of Jesus (and of the Bible), but not fully living them out?
- Is there a rhythm or a practice that you can employ this year that will help you engage God’s Word more deeply and allow God more access to purifying your life?
- How will you begin living out the truths of this teaching this week?
For Further Study