Episode 069 – The Lord’s Prayer Pt 5: Heaven Comes Here
Key Passage(s): Matthew 6:9-10; Matthew 6:33; Psalm 115:16
Many people believe that the point of Jesus was to rescue us from our sins so that we can leave earth and go to heaven. But the problem is that Jesus doesn’t spend his time teaching about how we from here (earth) to go there (heaven), but about getting there (heaven) to come here (earth). Hold on tight because without question, the content of this episode is the most paradigm shifting aspect of the Lord’s Prayer. And my hope is that we may finally understand what we’ve been praying all along when we’ve said, “your kingdom come, your will be done, here on earth as it is in heaven!”
- What was your biggest takeaway from the teaching?
- Has your primary understanding of the Christian life been about how we get from earth to heaven? How has this teaching changed or challenged that perspective?
- What are the implications of focusing so much on getting to heaven that we fail to live out Jesus’s instructions to join him in bringing heaven to earth?
- Knowing that we each have a kingdom, a realm of influence, how have you been running your kingdom? Have you been orienting your kingdom to The Kingdom, or have you been more focused on building your kingdom?
- What are some tangible ways you can orient your kingdom to The Kingdom in order for God’s will and way to advance in and through you to impact those your kingdom reaches?
- How will you begin living out the truths of this teaching this week?
For Further Study
- Heaven & Earth by The Bible Project
- Matthew: Episode 21 – Weeds and Wheat by Tim Mackie (Exploring My Strange Bible Podcast)
- The Lord and His Prayer by N.T. Wright
- LORD, Teach Us by William H. Willimon & Stanley Hauerwas
- The Divine Conspiracy by Dallas Willard – Chapter 1 deals with the Kingdom of Heaven and Chapter 7 deals specifically with the Lord’s Prayer
Disclosure of Material Connection. Some of the links above are affiliate links (meaning if you purchase them through the provided link, Walking The Text receives a small commission at no extra charge to you). That being said I only promote things which I thoroughly believe my audience will benefit from and that I use myself. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, part 255: “guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.”