Episode 064 – Bread of Life Pt 8: The Holy Spirit and Pentecost
Key Passage(s): Exodus 19:16-19; Luke 24:50-53; Acts 1:3-5; Acts 2:1-16
The most monumental event following the death, burial, resurrection, and ascension of Jesus was the giving of the Holy Spirit at Pentecost. It was a day that changed things forever. And yet, most people don’t know how deep and significant this event was. For example, did you know that Pentecost wasn’t a new festival? Or that it didn’t take place in the Upper Room? Or that it was connected to the Exodus? These details and much more are the subject matter for this episode as we conclude our “Bread of Life” series and comprehend the implications of Acts 2 in light of the resurrection!
- What was your biggest takeaway from the teaching?
- What surprised you most about the conversation on Pentecost?
- Where were you reminded anew of the importance of understanding the Old Testament when reading the New Testament?
- It was mentioned that salvation is never the end game, but the beginning. Shalom is the end game and discipleship is what we’re called to do as faithful followers of Jesus? How did this hit you? What are the implications if this is true?
- How can you begin living out the truths of this teaching this week?
For Further Study
- Jesus and the Jewish Festivals by Gary M. Burge
- Sitting at the Feet of Rabbi Jesus by Ann Spangler and Lois Tverberg – Chapters 8 and 9 deal with the content of this episode.
- Back to the Future – Yes, I did this as a Teaching Series episode, but it was originally a sermon I did that encompasses last week’s and this week’s Teaching Series episodes.
Disclosure of Material Connection. Some of the links above are affiliate links (meaning if you purchase them through the provided link, Walking The Text receives a small commission at no extra charge to you). That being said I only promote things which I thoroughly believe my audience will benefit from and that I use myself. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, part 255: “guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.”