Episode 054 – The Sabbath Pt 6: Unleash The Freedom
Key Passage(s): Mark 2:27; Luke 13:14-16; Matthew 11:28-30
Thus far, we’ve been talking about the Sabbath in the context of the Older Testament. And now, we get to hear from Jesus! And my oh my, hang on tight. The Sabbath was ridiculously important to Jesus and he addressed it at every opportunity. He knew what an unbelievable gift it was, and emphatically demonstrated in word and deed what it was intended to do for our lives. May you unleash and experience the freedom that Jesus taught, and may you truly take his “yoke” upon you!
- What was your biggest takeaway from the teaching?
- As we learned about the rabbis in connection with the Sabbath, it’s easy for religious people, in their zeal to be obedient to God, to make following God very legalistic. Where do you see this playing out in our world today (in general)? Where do you see this, if anywhere, being played out in connection to the Sabbath?
- How have you traditionally viewed the Sabbath – as more of a restriction or a gift?
- Were you aware of how intentional Jesus was in performing healings on the Sabbath? Why do you think these times were so explosive for Jesus, the crowds, and the religious leaders?
- How does knowing that the Sabbath was intended to bring you freedom confirm or change the perspective you’ve had on Sabbath?
- In what ways do you need “to take Jesus’ yoke upon you” and experience the freedom and “rest for your souls” he speaks of in this teaching?
- How can you begin walking out the truths of this teaching this week?
For Further Study
Disclosure of Material Connection. Some of the links above are affiliate links (meaning if you purchase them through the provided link, Walking The Text receives a small commission at no extra charge to you). That being said I only promote things which I thoroughly believe my audience will benefit from and that I use myself. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, part 255: “guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.”